Thursday, April 29, 2010

Weather On The Big Screen

Everyone has favorite movies, right? Well because I'm such a weather geek (there I said it!) most of my favorites are about weather. Instead of just talking about my favorites, I wanted to see what some of my friends and family members considered their favorite weather flick. I did a small, very informal survey and the quotes below are from the top two picks.

"The Suck Zone. It's the point basically when the twister... sucks you up. That's not the technical term for it, obviously."

"You could be a meteorologist all your life...and never see something like this. It would be a disaster of epic proportions. It would be... the perfect storm."

Figure out where those quotes came from? The first was from Twister, which was definitely the favorite in my unofficial survey among friends and family. The second quote was from The Perfect Storm which also seemed to be a favorite. Other weather movies mentioned were The Day After Tomorrow, Groundhog Day, and Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs.


The Day After Tomorrow


The Day After Tomorrow is a movie about a climatologist who tries to save the world from global warming. Other movies that seem to follow the climate change theme are Category 6: Day of Destruction and Category 7: End of the World. I haven’t seen those two yet, but they are on my list!

Looking for a comedy with a weather theme? Phil Connors (played by Bill Murray) is a TV weatherman who is stuck in a rut as everyday is Groundhog Day and he has to cover the story of the weather forecasting rodent. Groundhog Day is a funny movie and a favorite among my TV friends!


Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs


The only real animated weather movie I know of is Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. I highly recommend it, by the way! If only it could really rain meatballs or ice cream (is it lunchtime yet?)

Other weather-themed movies you may want to check out: An Inconvenient Truth with Al Gore or The Weather Man with Nicolas Cage. There is also an independent film, Weather Girl, which came out last year. I just ordered it, so I'll be watching that this weekend...I'll let you know what I think!

If you know of any other good weather movies, let me know! I’m always looking for an excuse to curl up on the couch with a bowl of popcorn!

Meteorologist Sonya Stevens

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home